Monday, November 5, 2007

A weekend of contrasts, Part 2

I guess I should have known better. It was tempting fate, setting the scene for a 2 part report, with part 1 being the 13th post on this blog! However, I am not superstitious so I didn't give it a second thought. Anyway, I was right about one thing, though. It was a weekend of contrasts and the contrast began at about 4.00am on Sunday morning when I first woke up knowing something was wrong. The feeling in my stomach was either butterflies ahead of the days 18 sailing or something a little more serious. Regrettably, within minutes, I discovered it was the later.

While the nausea had subsided by the time I should have been heading down to Double Bay, there was no way I was in a fit state to sail. In fact, the only thing I was capable of getting on board of was either the bed or the sofa, where I spent the day. I still have no idea whether it was something I ate or a bug, but the net effect is that the efforts I was making to put on weight for the 18 are back to square one.

So, the comparison between the toys will have to wait another week. The long range forecast suggests that next weekend will be 15-20 knots both days which should give lots of opportunities for more swimming practice. While we probably won't get a midweek training session in the 18 this week, I hope to get some practice sessions with the Moth, as Saturday is the first Interclub (open meeting) of the season. With a forecast for fresh winds all week, it could prove to be "educational"! However, if it stays like today, I won't be going near a boat.

I have been sat at my desk watching the Canadian and Russian Laser sailors practicing in the big seas between the Heads. The wind has been 20-30 knots and they have all been swimming. More impressive than the wind is the size of some of the waves. We are half way up the hill and I can only just see the tops of the masts in the troughs. I have seen some of the Lasers going hard "down the mine". I guess it beats working!

No comments: