Saturday, November 3, 2007

A weekend of contrasts, Part 1

People keep asking me about the differences between my 2 toys. Well, this weekend should help highlight them as it is Moth racing on Saturday, 18 on Sunday. So, let the show begin...........

Finally, after about 4 weeks, I have the Moth back with all its parts and my racing season can get under way. The first thing I noticed is how easy it is to rig and launch. It certainly passes the "if you can't lift it, don't sail it" test! For the first time in weeks, I didn't risk a hernia or back injury. In fact, for the first time in weeks, I actually sailed a whole race without injury. Lets hope that doesn't prove to be one of the differences between today and tomorrow.

We had a very present southerly breeze, ranging from 6-7 knots up to...........well, we thought 12-13 knots but Seabreeze.com.au said it was gusting 15-16 knots. 7 Moths started, 6 finished. I got a good start and foiled off to the wrong side of the beat rounding the windward mark 3rd. The best thing was that the 2 boats that had sailed the right way were lowriders! Just goes to show that boatspeed just gets you to the wrong place faster.

By the end of the first reach, I had broken through into the lead and the closer to the gybe mark we got, the more the wind came on. This caught me by surprise and the gybe was more than just wobbly, it was wet. This allowed the second place through but by the end of the next leg, I was leading again and extending. Another lap and half with a big lead and I was feeling more and more happy about life!

I don't know whether it was sailing in a bit less pressure or a loss of concentration but suddenly I was battling for the lead and next thing I know, a good lead was gone and I was battling to stay in second. In fact, at the last gybe, I even lost that place, but only for a short time as the superior speed of the Bladrider worked its magic and ensured I finished 2nd. Not bad for the first proper race of the year. I now know what I need to work on (gybes and tack) plus a few tweaks to the boat.

Landing and packing away was also quick and easy, a nice contrast to the 18.

So, what have I learnt that is of use for tomorrow? Not a lot! The boats and the racing are so different, which is what is so good about owning the 2 of them. However, it did remind me that I actually do know how to get off a start line and race. All I need to do is take that to the track tomorrow.

The appliances online.com.au team are pretty fired up for tomorrow, although we have a guest appearance at sheethand as Jamie is in NZ. I will present Part 2 as soon as possible, with some real observations about the differences between the 2 best boats you could ever want to sail.

No comments: