Thursday, September 20, 2007

not really the beginning.......

So, finally, a blog. having been in Oz for 8 months I thought it was about time I got with the programme. Or maybe it has taken this long to ensure that I have enough worth writing about.

So, what can you expect to see? I guess its a little late for the ski season so I am now getting revved up for sailing. This season is going to be busy. I have a Bladerider foiling Moth sitting in the boat shed at Balmoral which I will be sailing on Saturdays and, if possible, during the week as well. Then, for Sundays, I have lined up an 18' skiff out of the League.





For me, this is the realisation of an ambition as I consider these 2 classes to be the ultimate sailing. It's also a bit daunting, taking on probably the most challenging boats out there. It's not like I haven't been there before, having sailed Moths 25 years ago and campaigned 49ers for some time, but in both cases I was able to train away from the public eye while this time, my learning curve will be witnessed by rather too many people.


Another activity you should see mentioned regularly is Bootcamp http://www.hooyah.com.au/ which I attend at Balmoral beach 3 times a week, starting at 6.00 am. It suits my whole attitude to sport - harder, faster etc. "Sarge" Scott Anderson sees it as his job to break me as often as he can, insisting it is for my own good. We have a great bunch of "recruits" ranging in age from "young enough to be my daughter" all the way up to.......me! Yes, I am the oldest but so what. It is certainly getting me into shape for the summer.

I should add at this point that I couldn't go as hard as I do if it weren't for the Pilates classes http://www.springpilates.com.au/ I attend twice a week. It might be the most boring fitness activity I do but the benefits are essential - core stability, better muscle balance, better flexibility etc. I used to laugh at Pilates, but now understand why so many sports stars and teams have it as part of their regular training regime.

I find it hard to imagine that there will be no mention of my obsession with cars and in particular, my 1992 Porsche 911 Carrera RS

It is one of 70 right hand drive cars built and there are only 3 or 4 in Australia. It is basically a road legal race car that was designed to be driven from the showroom, via public roads, to the racetrack, compete and then driven home. I try to compete in the Porsche Club of NSW Super sprint series, although sailing will probably get in the way in the summer. However, I do use it as a daily drive and carry out some of the maintenance myself.

I will also be sharing the joys of the house renovation we are hoping to undertake, having just submitted a DA (development application). At the moment I am planning to become an owner/builder which should lead to lots of stories of frustration and pain!

Finally, last but not least is my family. I have followed my wife Ginette half way around the world to Oz as she wanted to come home after 19 years in the UK. I don't actually remember "love, honour and emigrate" being part of the marriage vows, but I am here anyway. Our 2 daughters are Zara, aged 9 and Sasha, aged 5, who have settled in Australia better than we could have hoped for, as have our 2 dogs and the cat.

No comments: