Saturday, September 29, 2007

Any Given Sunday......

In the USA, everybody would immediately think "NFL". For many long time sailing fans in Sydney, it means 18' Skiff sailing! And now, for me, it's how I will be spending my Sunday's for the next 6 months.

Yesterday, I collected the boat I have been allocated for the season. I have been very fortunate to get a top boat in my first season and I am delighted to be sailing Appliances Online.Com.au. The boat sponsor is the leading online vendor of whitegoods in Australia and this particularly pleases me, having spent a significant part of my career since business school consulting to online businesses. Since I have been in Oz, whenever people have mentioned on-line shopping, I have mentioned Appliances Online. Little did I know how they would become part of my life!


The boat seems to be really glam, with all the little "Gucci" bits already done. In fact, I have more work to do on the trailer than on the boat! So, yet another example of having "All the gear, no idea". In fact, in "big rig" conditions, I have no excuses as the boat has a reputation for being fast in those conditions.

For those who don't know, an 18 Footer has 2 rigs, with the smaller one consisting of a shorter mast and reduced sail area. The crossover point is around 14-15 knots so understanding weather conditions is important on marginal days. Get caught out in too much wind with the big rig and you struggle to get around the course while using the small rig when others can handle the big one leaves you short on power (and speed). Hopefully, there won't be too many marginal days in the early part of the season.

The first challenge is to get a crew together. Finding people with the right skill level who are committed to a season isn't easy in Sydney. If I was in the UK, there would be a line of people around the block! However, on Monday I will be out for a try out sail with 2 keen guys so I will be hoping for a perfect 10-12 knots, blue sky and some heat in the sun.

No comments: