Thursday, February 28, 2008

Getting old. Don't do it!

As is fitting for one having a mid life crisis, I am sensitive about my age and do what I can to hide the truth about the advancing years. It always gives me great pleasure when somebody is shocked when they find out my real age, as happened on Sunday night. However, the one person I cannot fool is my doctor.

Now, he does have a great advantage over most in as far as my date of birth is written large on the front page of my medical file, but he really doesn't need to keep answering, when I ask him any question with "why" in it, "because you are getting old"!

The end of the JJ has given me the opportunity to go to the doctor so as to sort out all the little niggles my body has picked up during the season and which I knew needed resting. As I said to him, when he asked why I hadn't come sooner, there was no point in spending money on an appointment if I knew I was simply going to ignore his advice. So, now is the time to get the body n=back in working order so I can then start the fitness training which will allow me to still carry my 18 to the water next year. As "The Babinator" says, if you can't lift it, don't sail it, which is why I will not be accepting the invitation to race on a Sydney 38!

Anyway, having waited for an hour past the appointed time, I finally got to see the Doc and I could tell he was not only feeling a bit guilty at running late, but that he didn't really want to hear me say that I had a list of injuries to go through. He was very efficient in ticking off the minor things - broken hand = x-ray, infected toe= anti B's, but the torn muscle in the groin took some time. Now, I am sure there are some who are comfortable standing with no cloths on, with a man hold their crown jewels while saying "cough", but I find it a far from normal experience. And to the question of "why" came the response that i was getting old!

So, I left the surgery with a prescription and instructions to get an x-ray and ultrasound, all because I am getting old. When I was younger, I didn't get injured, or infected toes, or concerns about arthritis setting into broken joints. And this last year I can also add to the list ruptured blood vessels in muscles, trouble with my neck, torn calf muscle and a general, all over aching for at least half the week.

Now, if I had my time again I would do it all differently. I would have learnt to stretch when I was in my 20's, ensured I had a regular fitness program going by the time I was in my 30's and I would have become a regular at either Pilates or Yoga by the time I was 40. And for all the youngsters who read this and laugh it off, just like I would have done, I do have an alternative. Don't get old!

No comments: